My carer comes in for 10 hours a week which used to be enough, but my health has got worse recently and I feel that I need more help. How can I get more hours?


You can ask the council to look again at how you manage at home. If you are over 18, contact the Council’s First Response Team by phone, email, fax or post. If you are14 or over, talk to your Social Worker.

You can contact First Response yourself or someone else can contact them on your behalf with your permission. You will go on to a waiting list and once you are allocated to a professional, they will come and see you at home to talk to you in detail about how you manage. This process is called ‘reassessment’ and can last up to 6 weeks. You should be aware that the number of hours you receive can be reduced as well as being increased or left the same.

Do you still need help with this? Back to FAQs main page